Livermore’s Witches Night Out Coming October 3, 2012
September 15, 2012 in Uncategorized
Livermore, California –Once a small cowtown in the East Bay, now containing a mix of scientists from Livermore Labs, vintners, wine connoisseurs, and farmers, you would never look at Livermore and say to yourself, “I bet that place hosts one hell of a witch party!” And yet, it does. Every year in October, Livermore Downtown Inc. puts on Witches Night Out and Martini Tasting. Last year the event sold out, and was attended by over 400 people (and it was raining!). I had an opportunity to speak with Nickie Branco, owner of Livermore downtown’s Outside In Etc., the motivating force behind this fun event.
Why did you create Witches Night Out?
“I tried to inspire others to let their inner witches out for a night (maybe they would have so much fun the witch that they keep hidden would get a chance to spread her arms and breathe, even it’s only for one night). But it took me a few years of pushing and pulling but it took off like wild fire. On this night it is so fun to see lines of women letting their witch out for the night, last year they sold out of 400 tickets. WOW!”
How has Witches Night Out changed over the years?
“Each year it’s grown, to the point now the tickets are being sold online two months before the event. Women are planning for it and are excited about it. Sometimes awareness or acceptance comes in odd packages.”
What kind of people turn out for Witches Night Out?
“There is no one group who turn out, young to old, hard core to very relaxed. One year I had a woman rabbi working with me dressed up. There are and have been no rules. Seeing so many women come out and have fun is just great, though last year I did see a few more men. One year I was on the second floor looking out at the street and sidewalk and all you saw were witches hats. I loved it!”
Many people don’t think of Livermore when they think “witches.” Why choose Livermore?
“(I chose) Livermore because that’s where I live. I think this could work anywhere but here sometimes when I’m in my secret garden at night I think the moon sits a little lower and I can feel the goddess breathe a little deeper when I wiggle my toes in the grass and I think I wanted to share this, so I was inspired by her.”
The Pagan Pente — The Top Five Things to Know About Witches Night Out:
- Witches Night Out is October 3, 2012 from 6-9pm in Downtown Livermore. Please note: You must be at least 21 years old to purchase the Martini Tasting Pass.
- Expect to see real witches, witches in the broom closet, wanna-be witches and men and women just enjoying a night out. Bring a friend — the more the merrier!
- Bring your best hat because there is a contest! Whether you channel your inner craft-witch, or wear that great hat you found at PantheaCon a few years back, dress-up and let your inner witch shine through. There have been some fantastic specimens over the years, which can be seen at the Livermore Downtown Inc gallery.
- Perfect your most devilish, witchy cackle. After enjoying your martinis, you will be invited on stage to share with the crowd and win a prize.
- Buy your tickets early — the event sold out last year. Tickets are available online at www.livermoredowntown.com.
Lastly, please arrange a ride, have a designated driver, or call a cab (Tri-Valley Cab) . We want everyone to celebrate safely and no one wants their broomstick impounded. Blessed Be!
Jelen VanderYacht reporting, Pagan Newswire Collective Bay Area